Halloween in EGR | Arts & Culture
This year's trick or treating for Halloween in the City of East Grand Rapids will be on Wednesday, October 31, 2012 from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM.
The following Halloween safety tips can be passed on to all residents and concerned parents.
- Take a pre-established route in a known neighborhood and have a curfew.
- Bring flashlights, stay on sidewalks, avoid crossing yards, and cross streets at the corner not between parked cars.
- Stop at all corners and stay together in a group before crossing the street.
- Go only to well-lit houses and remain on the porch rather than going inside.
Young children should:
- Be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Have their name, address, and phone number on their costume.
Other special notes:
- Costumes should be flame-retardant, fit properly, and marked with reflective tape. Avoid oversized shoes, high heels, trailing skirts or pants that your child could trip on.
- If you light a jack-o-lantern with a candle, use "votive" candles as they are the safest. Place lighted pumpkins on a sturdy table, away from curtains and other flammable objects. Never leave them unattended.
- Tell children to bring all their treats home, so a parent can check them out. Look for signs of tampering such as small pinholes in wrappers and torn or loose packaging. Remember, small items like gum, peanuts, hard candy, or small toys can pose choking hazards for young children.
- Remove any hazards, garden hoses, toys bikes, lawn decorations, leaves, etc. that a child could trip over from your yard. Make sure your house entrance is well-lit and replace any burned-out bulbs.
- If you are out in a car, drive slowly, watch for children, and exit driveways with care.
Most of all have a fun Halloween!